2.18.2012

tattoos. i think it's an art form.

whether you hate or love tattoos, please read what i have to say about them after the jump :)


Not all tattoos are artistic, personal or even good. Some, in my opinion, are even a disgrace to the art form and it's rich history. But many of them really stand out.

the magic
Most of the time, someone has a concept, an idea. It can be specific or still vague. The tattoo artist converts this into a sketch, a precise line drawing and finally, a permanent image on a body. I find it fascinating.
It's so special, so original to use a body as a canvas, though the art of tattooing has presumably been practised since the Stone Age.
In a way, tattoos turn a person 'inside out'. You get an insight into what defines a person, what he or she likes, stands for or has been through. Some times it's not as evident what the story behind a tattoo is, but as we've seen in shows as L.A. Ink, many stories are interesting, touching or funny.

Getting a tattoo has always been a ritual, to a greater or lesser extent. Nowadays it still has some ritual feeling to it: you have a vision, you suffer pain, you endure, your vision becomes permanently visible on your body. For me it felt a bit like having a baby, and yes, I know it sounds strange! But maybe the people that have a tattoo can relate. Especially when it hurt very much, like mine (it's on my side).
Not always is a tattoo an expression of a story. Some people just get a tattoo because they like it, because they think it looks nice. There's no rules in tattooing, you're not obliged to have a meaning behind your tattoos, but it can still be pretty. To quote the author of Tattoo Brighton:

via z-zephyr
I have so much respect for people whose vanity is such that they would indelibly mark their skin just to look good. I like to look good. I like fashion. I see tattooing as the ultimate fashion statement. It is the ultimate artform. Your body is a canvas. Tattooists are artists and their tattoo parlours are art studios.
                Tattoo Brighton (warning: adult content)

It's generally known that tattoos are some kind of addictive. When you start, you can't stop. I've seen this for myself. Though i only have one tattoo (for now), I would love to have more. It's just money (or lack thereof) and society that has stopped me, otherwise I would be very inked by now.

the 'others'
Which brings me to the next point: society. A lot of people with (visible) tattoos probably were frowned upon at a job interview. And girls are 'not supposed to have sleeves'. People think that those who have tattoos are all criminals.
I fully understand that tattoos can be unwanted in some situations or just not ok because of the contents (naked women for instance). But I think there are still people who are just too aversive about tattoos. People who think tattoos are still only for prostitutes, sailors and criminals. I, for example, am a highly educated, responsible woman. I've never even stolen candy and I have good manners. I just like art, I like to express myself, I like it when other people express themselves.

Be mindful though, I do not like agressive, offensive or just plain ugly (drunk) tattoos.
I appreciate tattoos that have a story, something personal, a feeling, something aesthetic or an art to it.

the history and the world

(Just so you know, you know?)
Tattoos have been around since the Stone Age. Through the years, tattoos have had many purposes. From a treatment for rheumatism to a status symbol to a good luck charm.
For example: in New Zealand, the Maoris use their tattoo pattern, ta moko, as a symbol for their status and personality. The lines of the ta moko tell a story about the origin/ancestry, status in the community, personality, achievements, life events, etc.
The funny thing is, when you're a Maori and are not tattooed, that implies you are of low social status. Exactly the opposite of the western world.
Every ta moko is unique. It is made by scratching patterns in the skin with sharp objects made from shells or bones. The method is a kind of chiseling, which creates grooves, a relief in the skin. Obviously, this is very painful. One of the reasons why tattoos raise respect in the Maori community. 
There are many other cultures that have a similar 'tattoo community' (like Borneo and Samoa).

As you can see, there is much more to tattoos than just an image on someone's skin. It's a way of expressing yourself and a way of communicating with the world. It's about showing something.
Thank you for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment